First things first, what not to do is set an alarm that doesn’t give you much time to get ready and relax or keep pressing the snooze button!
Here are 10 things to do every morning to help you wake up properly.
- Start with a smile – While still in bed, think about something that makes you smile and hold that feeling, enjoying a wave of endorphins and serotonin rushing through your body. Being in a positive state of mind has a massive impact on motivation, productivity and well being!
- Have the same alarm set – Try and set your alarm the same time every day. This can help improve your sleep quality, which in essence boosts your energy and keeps your circadian rhythm in check.
- Breathe in fresh air – Open your window (yes even in the winter!) and let the fresh air in the room. Stand at the window and do a few stretches, breathing properly to get your body limbered up for another day at work!
- Digital no-no – When you wake up, don’t let the first thing you do be checking your messages on your phone! Make this the last thing you do before you leave for work.
- Boost your caffeine fix – Give your morning coffee that edge by just adding some cold-pressed coconut oil and a spoonful of honey. These ingredients have been known to gently detox, speed up metabolism and aid with digestion.
- Wake up those tired feet – Did you know our feet are packed with sensory nerves, which not only impact our posture and balance but our mental focus and acuity also. So do some small yet quite vigorous foot exercises to wake up your tired feet.
- Motivate while putting beautifying yourself – For the women out there this will mean putting on your makeup and straightening your hair. Then for the men, having a shave and combing your hair. During this time, motivate yourself by listening to a bit of upbeat music or listen to an audio book.
- Move towards the light – For 15 to 20 minutes when you get up, expose yourself to natural light. This will lessen the melatonin production which will make you more alert.
- A lemon a day – The quickest, simplest and most cost effective thing anyone can do in the morning is to drink some lemon water. All you need to do is squeeze half a lemon into a cup of water to boost your immune system and keep you energised!
- Eat a healthy breakfast – It is vitally important to have a good breakfast to start you off in the morning. Have a bit of protein (eg. Egg) and some fiber (eg. bran flakes or nuts). This will eliminate an increase and decrease in your blood sugar and help you achieve weight goals quicker!
Do these 10 simple things to make your morning a lot nicer and wake up properly!